Keywords: Lungs, smoking, cardiorespiratory, bronchiectasis, COPD, ARDS, Cystic fibrosis, CABG, Pneumonia, asthma, physiotherapy
The ERS provides a huge online learning resource which provides information on conditions, examination, treatments and videos. A resource not to be missed. Navigating around the site can be a little tricky at first purely due to the extensive amount of information. The links below take your directly to a few areas however be sure to have a little look around because there are lots of lectures, journals and clinical expert reviews
Lung Examination Video (includes observation/palpation/percussion/auscultation/lung sounds). Be sure to access this resource before attempting our cardiorespiratory quizzes which will be coming shortly to Physiowizz: Student room.
Common Cardiorespiratory Conditions treated with physiotherapy
- Cystic fibrosis
- Respiratory failure (Type 1 and 2)
- Lung Collapse
Cardiorespiratory – Patient Information Sheets
Addenbrookes Hospital in Cambridgeshire offer clear advice sheets for patients on the following:
Breathlessness – Fact sheet 1 : Information and commonly asked questions.
Breathlessness – Fact Sheet 2 – Breathing Methods and positions to ease breathlessness.
Breathlessness – Fact sheet 3 – Handheld fan.
Breathlessness – Fact Sheet 4 – Managing your energy
Breathlessness – Fact Sheet 5 – Relaxation
Breathlessness – Fact sheet 6 – Shortness of breath and your diet.
Breathlessness – Fact Sheet 7 – Mindfulness
Alex Hough has kindly given permission to display her own advice sheets for patients. She advises that you will need to assess whether these are suitable for your patients, adjust them as appropriate, and if using them in the NHS;
- Get them checked by your Trust
- Add your name and contact details.
- Go through them with patients and sign them before handing them out.
- Acapella: This information sheet explains the use of the Acapella instrument and gives instructions for patient usage.
- Breathing control: This information sheet provides information for patients on breathing control through the use of diaphragmatic breathing.
- ACB + cough suppression: This information sheet provides information for patients on how to clear their chests using the active cycle of breathing.
- ACB for inpatients: This information sheet provides information for patients on the active cycle of breathing (for inpatients).
- Bronchiectasis: This information sheet explains bronchiectasis, its causes, diagnosis and treatments.
- COPD: This information sheet explains chronic obstructive pulmonary disorder.
- Diary: The following gives an example of an exercise diary to help improve exercise tolerance.
- Incentive Spirometry: This information sheet provides information on incentive spirometers and also guides patients in its use.
- Home Oxygen: This information sheet provides information about home oxygen and its safe use.
- Panic attacks: This information sheet provides information about panic attacks and appropriate coping strategies.
- Quads Inpatients: This provides quad exercises for inpatients.
- Quads Outpatients: This provides quad exercises for outpatients.
- Relaxation: This information sheet provides information on relaxation.
- Sleep: This information discusses the importance of good sleep patterns and how to achieve this.
- Shortness of breath, exercises, pacing: This information sheet provides information on shortness of breath, and how to help reduce this through exercises and pacing.
Extensive references lists can also be found on Alex Hough’s site :
- Acute Brain Injury
- Breathing exercises
- Cystic fibrosis
- Diease- miscellanous
- Elderly People
- Hyperventilation Syndome
- Incentive Spirometry
- Inspiratory muscle training
- Mechanical Ventilation
- Non invasive ventilation
- Palliative respiratory care
- Pulmonary rehabilitation
- Spinal Cord lesions
- Sputum Clearance
- ICU: conditions/drugs/manual hyperinflation/suction/physio
Salisbury NHS foundation trust
- The Stroke Association
- Multiple Sclerosis Society
- Parkinson Disease Society
- Motor Neurone Disease Association